Friday, March 31, 2017

Presentation - 2017 Variety Show 掩耳盗铃


 To Cover One’s Ears to Steal a Bell


by Aaron and Gordon


2017 School Variety Show


G: When people think about Chinese Hollywood superstars, they will probably think about Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, or even Kung Fu Panda. Are you tired of seeing martial arts?



A: We are! Today, we’re going to represent Hollywood stars and act out a traditional Chinese idiom story. Let’s see if you can guess the name before we say it.



G: This story happened in a small village at Spring and Autumn Era of Ancient China.



A: I am from a rich family of the village.



G: I am the thief of the village.



A: On the new year day, the rich family hung a golden bell at the porch. To present the family’s wealth, and hope the golden bell bring good luck to the family.



G: The bell is very beautiful. I like it! How about I steal it and put it in my house?



A: One day, the thief sneaked into the porch and tried to steal the bell.



G: However, once I touched the bell, it would ring. How can I steal the bell without making any sound? A Ha! It was my ears that heard all the noise I made. I have a brilliant idea! Why don’t I cover my ears up, so that no sound can be heard! I will use cotton to cover my ears.



A: The thief foolishly thinking the cotton quieted the bell so that he could pull it many times. The thief tried hard to pull the bell off the porch. But he made a loud clang. Of course, the thief never heard it because of the cotton. But The loud clang surprised the rich family. And of course, the thief was caught!



G: “How come you knew I was stealing your bell?”



A: “Ha Ha Ha! You covered your own ears, but nobody else’s ears were covered!”



G: “Oops! How silly I am!”



A: The idiom, “To Cover One’s Ears to Steal a Bell”, is used to describe someone who is foolishly deceiving himself. It is quite similar to, “bury your head in the sand” in English.



Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment